Here at Anything But Cute we love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional artists, and you just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer.
Make sure to put 'newbie' after your name in the linky so we know who you are.
(new refers to 'new to mixed media' NOT 'new to our challenge')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Feature Artist - Rustic Glam - Welcome Joi!

Hello Everyone!

Branka here and I am completely thrilled to introduce you to our Feature Artist for November, the lady who was the winner of my 'Friendship' challenge in September. Please welcome Joi from Joi@RR.

Joi is an incredibly talented mixed media artist and a wonderful lady! Each piece of her fantastic artwork is full of passion, love and amazingly beautiful colors! I encourage you to visit her blog to see how brilliantly she combines rich textures, yummy colors and so many fabulous techniques! Joi loves to share her techniques on her blog and she is one super inspirational lady!


I am so excited about the project she created for our current challenge Rustic Glam. This spectacular piece of art is just perfect for Niki's challenge theme and it really showcases Joi's unique and marvelous style in art! Feast your eyes on this absolutely beautiful creation!

***
Howdy from Joi@RR.  

Today is a particularly happy day for me because I am a Featured Artist here on the Anything But Cute Challenge Blog.  
Can you see my silly smile right now???!! 


 Month after month, without fail, I entered the ABC challenge - hoping. Why? Because it's one of my favorite places to be. They are such a sweet group of folks, super DT artists with fun mixed media challenges.  And then, finally it happened, last month... 
I WON the challenge!!!  Yippie Aye Ohhhh!!!
Ok...YES... admitting to a happy jig. :)

I'm a mixed media artist. If you have an inkling to know more about me visit: joi-at-ranch-art.com!

This month the Anything But Cute Challenge is RUSTIC GLAM.
There's still TIME to participate in this yummy challenge here.


At our ranch, rustic is undeniable! But glam? Well... a yellow flower on a cactus is glam!  A new baby calf is glam!  A deer resting in the pasture is glam! Heheheh - it's likely my definition of glam is much different than Niki, the hostess, had in mind for this challenge! However... if you have seen my artwork, you know that I love a bit of glitter, glitz and pizzazz . . .  so, without any further ado . . . welcome to my RUSTIC GLAM creation.  



I began with a 12" x 30" rustic piece of barn wood. 


Using a stencil for the lettering; I drew in the design by hand. 


And began painting in all my little designs with DecoArt Media Black Gesso. My liner brush by Dynasty sure helped! 


Here is the RUSTIC part before the GLAM arrived on the scene.  Oh, my stars . . . those trees are crooked.  Ok, Joi - just don't think about that . . . perfection not needed . . . proceed forth to the finish!


I had drawn in a double layer of mountains and thought it would be fun to use some type of texture there - maybe even a stamped texture. I had been humming the song Silent Night and decided the project needed some music - right?! 


I found lovely music in the Victorian Romance Deco-Page paper set by DecoArt Americana.  I tore the notes and placed them using DecoArt Media Matte Medium. After they were dry, I went back around the edges with some Titan Buff Fluid Acrylic to make it look a bit more unified with the line of the mountain ridge.


The open tree needed a bit of glam, too. I stamped one of the Susan K Weckesser Unity Journal Doodles inside.


Remember, a deer resting in the pasture is glam. How could I not include one??! Out came an old stencil that has no name any more and an ARTplorations Christmas Reindeer too. 


To bring my deer to life . . . . here is a fun concoction of DecoArt Media Texture Sand Paste and Carbon Black Fluid Acrylic paint - YUMMY! 


For a bit more shimmer, I used DecoArt Metallic Lustre on the trees and across parts of the background. It's very hard to see in this picture, but it definitely added some glitz to the rustic wood!  


For transforming my tipsy trees... I chose DecoArt's Snow Writer.  It's so amazing to play with this snowy wonder.


The moon just seemed to need a bit more glam so cheese cloth mesh was added with matte medium.


Last but not least... the wild splish-splash of DecoArt Glamour Dust - black ice & ice crystal - from top to bottom!


Here are the products used for this rustic winter wonderland glam.


And a few close-ups!






Wishing each of you a calm and bright Thanksgiving and Christmas season . . . with hugs. j.

***

WOW, what an exquisite piece of art this is! How can you not be inspired by this stunner to join in with our Rustic Glam challenge! Thank you so much Joi for such a great inspiration! It has been an honor having you here with us today!

You have until the 4th of December to play - and you'll find all the challenge details as well as lots of inspiration from the brilliant Anything But Cute design team by clicking on the challenge link.

Happy Crafting
Branka xx

13 comments:

  1. Wow! This is an amazing, wonderful job!
    Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Joi, you have really knocked my socks off with this project! I am so in love with the wintery scene! Thank you so much for joining us today as our Feature Artist, your project is inspirational and your step by step pics are fantastic! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joi, how I enjoyed reading your post today! You thrill my heart with your excitement and contagious creativity! Biggest congrats both on your win and your perfect design for our rustic glam challenge! You nailed it sweetie!!! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely amazing, Joi!! I love, love it!! The details are spectacular!! Your tutorial is fabulous!! I love the close-ups, too!! What a beautiful winter scene you've created!! Congrats on your win and I'm so happy to have you join us as the Feature Artist!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant piece, love all the different textures!! Love Joi's take on glap, stunning effects and big congrats Joi, you deserve to be a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joi..I absolutely love your piece of rustic glam! Love all the textures and effects, and your wonky trees! Fantastic!
    Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joi, it is such a joy to see your beautiful smiling face and your amazing artwork bless Anything But Cute's blog as our Feature Artist! I love the wintry scene and I think your trees are fabulous--love the texture and the snow! Most of all, I loved reading through your post and am so happy you shared your steps with us! Many thanks and Big Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to Joi on her fabulous feature and wonderful project. Thanks for sharing the step by step too. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an adorable project and decorated piece of wood, very lovely! looks like a magical dream world!!! Love this to bits. and great to see your wonderful smile too Joi! :D
    Hugs, Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. An absolutely stunning creation Joi, your rustic, shimmery winter scene just warms my heart! So lovely to have you as Feature Artist too!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ mua hộ hàng mỹ, mua hàng trên amazon vietnam với giải đáp amazon là gì, vòng tay pandora ý nghĩa như thế nào, dịch vụ ship hàng từ mỹ về việt nam uy tín cũng như hướng dẫn cách mua hàng trên ebay uy tín nhất.

    ReplyDelete